Saturday 10 November 2007

Trauma Junkie

Since writing this blog, a few friends have called me something which, while not necessarily inaccurate, I don't find too appealing.

Trauma Junkie.

In a sense, they are right. I like getting the 'big cases' where my hands get wet. I like being tested, forced to think on my toes and, I'll admit, the adrenalin rush is certainly an interesting experience.

Don't get me wrong - I never wish for someone to get in trouble, in fact in a perfect world my future career would be redundant and I'd be more than happy with that - it's just that this isn't a perfect world, and accidents do happen. So does stupidity, hate, greed, lust (and all those other enjoyable sins we hear so much about). I've become a bit of a junkie in the sense that I want to experience things so I can learn from them, observe and help when things go wrong. I want to be there for the 'big cases' so that if, and I hope this doesn't happen, I'm on my own in this situation without the support of a team or partner, I will be able to keep my cool.

Something of a recurring mantra on this blog - I want to be better. If that makes me a trauma junkie, so be it - as long as everyone goes home to a full family tonight, I'll be more than happy to stick with that title.

No comments: