Thursday 29 November 2007

I believe I may secretly have unusual mental abilities...

AND IT'S DONE! The latest round is over...

As predicted, I'm a geek - blogging from an internet cafe in beautiful Sydney. I'll rant a little about Sydney today and the test details will come on Saturday.

So Sydney is a nice place, the weather is beautiful (although not as rainy as I would perhaps like...) and the people are... well, everywhere. Someone else has commented and I agree totally that Sydney is like the rush of Melbourne combined with the feeling of the Gold Coast. There's people everywhere doing everything, which is actually pretty cool - but there are of course a few downsides to all this...

Firstly, can everyone from Sydney please just slow down when driving? You're all insane. All of you. Bus, don't cut off the car I'm in please - you're bigger than our car but that doesn't mean you instantly have right of way. And for some reason they decided to print the speed limits on the road, as opposed to on signs lining the street... An interesting move, given everyone drives so damn close together (despite whatever speed they may be traveling at) that you never get to actually see it.

Also, cabbies here are pretty cool - I've had four dealings with them and three were quite positive. The first guy added extra money to the charge without telling me then didn't give me a receipt (I decided not to say anything, it was only a few dollars and I justed wanted to get back onto safe ground), but the next guy yelled directions across from another car to us when we got lost (a friend was driving) then indicated when we needed to turn off by driving in front of us and pseudo-indicating. Legend. The next one took me on a rather neat short cut that saved me $5 and finally another took me back where I needed to be despite not having a proper address... I just described the place and he knew it.

Accommodation is pretty expensive and I'm getting a little nervous about how I will afford living here, but I'm sure I'll work that out as I go along. The Ambulance HQ is located in a pretty good spot that's easy to get to, so I can live pretty much anywhere (ie, the cheaper outskirts of the city) which is lucky.

Well my time is running out so I'll finish up here - more details on Saturday!

No comments: