Friday 2 November 2007

Supervisors

So I've just come from my PhD Supervisor's office - I told her (and my Co-Supervisor) last night about my plans to defer the PhD and take up Paramedics. I was nervous about how they would take it, after all, they had invested a lot of time, effort and money to get me this far and here I was telling them I wanted out.

Fortunately, they both took it very well! I was amazed and humbled that they genuinely thought I should do what I felt was best for me, they had noticed my attention wasn't always on the project and thought a year off to pursue whatever I wanted might be in my best interest. This way, I could defer the PhD for a year, start the Paramedics intake (hopefully!) and after a year decide if I want to continue with Paramedics or return to the PhD.

I had felt guilty that it had taken me so long to tell them - a part of me was scared of their reaction, but the main reason really was that I wanted to be sure this was what I wanted, and I wasn't risking my PhD on a half understood dream of being a Paramedic. It was after treating a serious case late at night that I realised without a doubt this was what I wanted, and why the next day I called both supervisors in for 'a chat'.

Don't be afraid to follow your dreams - but just make sure it's a dream you really want to follow.

No comments: