Tuesday 18 March 2008

We have liftoff

Well, here I am. It's now the second day of commencing my new role as a Trainee Paramedic and I'm loving it so far. The people are fantastic - the training staff are friendly and eager to teach you (although frequently reminding you that there is a LOT of content to cover in very little time), the higher level trainees and other staff keep reminding you to hold on while sharing their stories and the people in my class are awesome. They come from all walks of life, from a gym trainer to a carpenter to a physiotherapist - even a fellow biochemist!

I have to admit, so far I am thanking my lucky stars for my medical background, which has made the content so far fairly simple to learn. A lot of others without the background are starting to worry, but we're going to run some study groups lead by those who have the background (I'll be helping with chemistry, metabolism, anatomy and physiology) so that we'll all feed off each others strengths.

This class comradery was fairly apparent from word go (although most of us are still trying to figure out who everyone is!), and I'm truly inspired by the general atmosphere of the 'family' of the ambulance service.

I'm getting my uniform fitted tomorrow which should be fun - but till then back to study!

No comments: