Friday 29 February 2008

Reverse Voodoo Doll

I’m in the ward again for the clinical trial – and I’ve become somewhat of a celebrity with the nurses and doctors.
‘Number 19 - the one with the crap veins!’

Yes, we’re numbers – occasionally we’ll be referred to by our initials but I kind of like the ‘Hitman’-esque nature of the number… I’ve always known I’d make a horrible IDU – I’ve got the smallest, deepest veins… Once you’re in they bleed well, but getting a needle in is much akin to the haystack story… Luckily for me needles don’t phase me in the slightest (working in a HIV research facility gets you quickly used to them, as scientists need a lot of ‘control’ samples… guess where they come from?) and I’m more than happy for them to take a few stabs.

One of the doctors has it down to an art taking from the veins on the dorsal surface of my hand, but most people don’t like taking from there. So most take a stab at the Median cephalic or Median basilica veins, and miss. Or the Median cubital, and miss. My Radial vein is actually quite big and juicy – perfect for venipuncture – but unfortunately it rolls quite easily away from the needle and both times one of the nurses tries she’s forgotten to stabilize it and missed. Oh well, live and learn.

I can’t help if there’s a doll somewhere in the world wandering why it keeps getting these stabbing sensations…

Given my studies, I’ve come to help them find the best veins to use (much to both of our amusements), together we’ve come to find a few that work and many that don’t. I like learning the practical skills and many of the newer nurses enjoy the practice on a ‘difficult’ case who is willing to give them as many shots as they want.

Here’s hoping I get someone like me when I go on hospital placements!

No comments: