Tuesday 19 February 2008

Getting ready to say goodbye

Possibly the hardest part of my life at the moment is getting ready to say goodbye to Melbourne - my family, friends and life as I know it.

I have done a fair bit of travelling in my life, having lived in several places across Australia - but somehow Melbourne was always 'home'. Well, for at least the next several years I'll have to learn to call Sydney home - and having been there a few times I don't think that should be too big a problem. Except for the heat.

I'm a winter baby - give me rain and snow, I'll be happy. Give me sun and I'll be looking for shelter faster than you can say 'Gollum!'. Having said that, the past few years have actually been warmer than Sydney during the winter, so I guess the shock won't be as big as it could have been.

The hardest part is the financial side of things. Having lived as a PhD student, I got into the routine of surviving financially - but now that I have to move to Sydney I realise I'm broke. Enter the clinical trial, which should pay for (thus solving) all of my problems. It ends on the 15th of March, I drive to Sydney the 16th and classes start the 17th - the downside being that I don't get my cheque 'till the end of the 15th. It's a Friday. This means there's a high chance I won't be able to access these funds until the Monday classes start, despite the fact I'll need the money to actually get to said classes. I'll figure something out - I always have - but it'll no doubt be a blogworthy tale!

Wish me luck ;)

Side note: Only just got onto the internet after a considerable length of offline time - it was horrible! Also, the power cable for my laptop decided to snap, denying me access to my pre-written posts. This means double the whammy when the new cable arrives as I post the articles.

No comments: