Sunday 13 January 2008

Just be honest

Something that always amazes, amuses and mortifies me is the truth behind rule number 1 of Emergency Medicine.

Everybody lies.

One would be forgiven for thinking that, while being in an emergency situation, a medical technician might be provided with all of the important, relevant details needed to adequately treat their patient. This is not the case. Several instances stand out in my mind when 'the gang' is gathered and sharing battle stories in regards to this.

I was at a major festival at one of the busiest posts when, not surprisingly, an underage female is brought in with suspected OD. While she was stable, it was vital for us to be told exactly what she had taken or done in order for us to treat her in such a way as to improve her condition or ensure the proper care was given... Her three "BFF's" were gathered around crying she was going to die and the usual rants we hear in these situations (they'd be amusing if they weren't so annoying), and yet not a single one of them would tell us what she had taken. Oh, they knew, but (and I quote) "[they] don't want her parents to find out!". She was in no trouble at all, the only way her parents would find out is if a) she told them or b) we were forced to send her to hospital in which case the hospital would be forced to notify the parents given she was underage.
I always like to think that if it come between getting in trouble but being alive or not getting yelled at but possibly dying, I'd choose the former. Just me, perhaps.

Another case that comes to mind was at another festival where many people were brought in with scratches, lacerations or other injuries consistent with being scraped by a wire. It was funny, but I recalled hearing on the event radios of people jumping fences... But these people told me they cut themselves on cans after falling over... Also funny, this event doesn't serve drinks in cans... What's that? This was outside the event, before you came in? Of course it was. We didn't care how they cut themselves (although our paperwork requires us to ask just for record keeping), but knowing what people cut themselves on can be the difference between knowing a simple clean and cover will suffice or if they might need a shot after scraping on that rusty fence. Of course I recommended the shot given the 'nature' of the injuries to be on the safe side...

Of course my favorite to date (although perhaps not as medically relevant) comes from the humble drunk. How did you end up in the gutter? "I was just having a drink, minding my own business and the guards kicked me out." Do you remember how you got that black eye? "What black eye?" The police want to have a quick word with you regarding the patient in the other post, the unconscious one. I'll be back in a minute. "Never seen him in my life." I'm sure his fist looks familiar. Bloody-toothed grin ensues.

The short of it; we're only trying to do our job, and the more details we have the better we can look after you. We don't disclose details to anyone without your permission (yes, even including the police) so please, just be honest.

No comments: