Friday 11 January 2008

Did he or didn't he?

I sat at the table, three highly trained Paramedics in front of me. Their uniforms were clean, sharp and all said one thing; we are professionals. I was nervous, but ready for this.

My palms were slightly sweaty and I hoped they wouldn't notice. For an hour we danced our little interview dance, throwing questions and answers back and forth. Of course, at the time I could have sworn I'd been at that table for five hours, but in that little room it was irrelevant. Only the types of questions asked could be used to mark the passage of time. Every now and then I'd throw in a small joke or remark but only one would ever give a little giggle before the cast iron mask came back down - but that was enough, I knew they too were human (or at least I had suspicions) and that I could do this.

And I did.

But it wasn't over yet - next came the driving test. While the interview made me feel like I was there forever, the driving test seemed to be over before it began - and the instructor seemed happy with me. That $50 note could stay in my pocket, then...

We moved back into the Ambulance Training Center where I was sat down with one of the Paramedics who interviewed me.

"Kane," she said, "you've made it through to the next round. If you pass the medical check, you'll be a Trainee Paramedic with the Ambulance Service of New South Wales. Congratulations."

I was thrilled - there were no words (although I did gush out a 'thanks!') to explain how I felt. She laughed at my obvious relief and we discussed setting up the medical in Melbourne to save me having to fly back up to Sydney again.

I climb back on board the plane to Melbourne, we take off. For the first time QANTAS was the cheapest airline for the flight I was after, and lucky for me they do complimentary drinks.

I think I earned it :)

No comments: