Wednesday 12 December 2007

Common sense (and why it isn't always common)

A good deal of what we do in first aid is common sense. Anybody can do it - most children, when asked what to do if they cut themselves would be able to tell you to put a band aid on it. There is one little catch, however, that has shown me time and time again why such a simple thing to treat can be changed into something a lot more complicated.

From the newest member to the most hardened veteran of first aid (sounds silly, I know), I've seen people freeze up at certain types of injuries. Some people don't like blood (again sounds silly but I've seen first aiders go pale at the sight of it), while others don't like screaming patients. I've done it too, but I'm trying more and more to stop it. Sometimes your brain needs a few moments to collect itself when confronted with a particular sight, and it's something that you need to condition yourself out of in order to become better at this. Some injuries require immediate attention, so you won't be given those moments, and it's a trend I'm noticing going through the Paramedic literature that an important part of the job is getting around that initial mental hurdle to get back to that common sense.

But this raises another point - Paramedics condition themselves to adrenalin, as the job puts the body into a stressful state for frequent, long periods of time. This is a two edged sword; it allows the Paramedic to work in stressful situations to accomplish that which may not ordinarily be accomplished, but it can also lead to chronic fatigue and a depletion of mental resources. It can burn you out. A good Paramedic will be able to find that balance, the sweet spot between exhaustion and exhilaration that leaves them in the right frame of mind for the job. I've heard it's not easy, and not everyone can do it despite their best efforts. It can hit you straight away, or slowly wear you down after years on the job.

Will I be able to find this spot? I hope so, but I guess you'll only ever find out through a trial of fire. All else fails, I like to think I'll still be able to use my common sense.

No comments: