Thursday 18 October 2007

Introduction

Let's start off.

Hello, I'm Kane - and I'm going to become a Paramedic. Well, that's the plan, at least. I'm 22 years old and currently live in Melbourne, Australia. At 21 I graduated with a degree in Biomedical Science from Monash University, then again at 22 with Honours in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I'm currently undertaking a PhD in Virology and Protein Interaction, however, one year into it I've realised science isn't quite for me.

It's not the work - in fact I love medical research. It's just not somewhere I see myself right now, although down the line I feel I'll return.

Rather than give up on science all together, I've chosen to take time off, taking up another passion of mine - working with people. I do a lot of volunteer work for St John Ambulance and love it - I came to the realisation that Paramedics may be far more suited to me than science, although I'm reluctant to rule it completely out of the life plan. This decision has not come lightly - it was something I have been thinking about for quite a considerable amount of time, and has required many aspects of my life to change.

So here it is - this blog will document my trials and tribulations of my journey from a PhD candidate to a Paramedic, and hopefully beyond.

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: