Saturday 7 June 2008

Nothing like a good night jog

We were called to a male pedestrian hit by a car. It's night, so we have our sidelights on as we scan the area for the accident - unsure if the driver has fled the scene or not. Two men flag us down, we assess the scene as we approach. Something about this job seemed odd from the get go, we're not taking any risks.

The men tell us they saw the incident, the car is down the road but the pedestrian - hit by the car at a relatively high speed - ran off down the opposite direction.

My TO looks at me with a look of disbelief on his face, I mirror the look to our flagging-down friends. The MDT flashes with a new notice, that the patient had ran home around the corner and called 000 from there. The look of disbelief stays with us as we head to the given address.

I'm treating officer for the night, so I grab our oxygen and first aid kit and head inside, a woman is waiting at the door and guides me to her husband. He sits in a dining table chair, a red towel pressed against his head. I swear silently to myself and start my assessment - the towel was, but half an hour earlier, white.

He was normotensive and seemed fairly stable, alert and oriented, full recollection of events and denied loss of consciousness - but he had an egg on his head that would serve a family of four. It bled fairly freely and took me a while to get under control, ample time to work out exactly what had happened. The car had hit him as he jogged across the road, and for whatever reason he had thought it was best he head home to call an ambulance... despite hearing the driver of the car call an ambulance. In these situations it's hard to determine if there perhaps is an altered level of consciousness or if the patient is always this silly.

He was, given the mechanism of injury, in fairly good shape, but we took full spinal precautions anyway much to his discomfort - collars are horrible to wear for any length of time. His head would definitely need a scan to check for any internal damage or bleeding, and we sped off into the night.

I'm trying to find out how this one turned out - the bump on the head was quite nasty and I'm curious if they stitched or glued the head wound and how the scans turned out. I'll be sure to let you know!

No comments: